WHY REGISTER NOW?
- You & your child know what to expect
- The school is prepared
- There’s time for the school to learn about your child
- You’ll find out about special programs, activities, opportunities
- All the necessary paperwork is in
- You avoid stress
WHAT DO I NEED?Typically schools require:
- Birth certificate
- For Cuyahoga County, from City of Cleveland Bureau of Vital Statistics or online at Ohio Dept.of Health
- Immunization records
- From the child’s doctor or clinic
- Proof of residence*
- Varies by district. Driver’s license, state ID or passport plus 2 of these: utility bill, lease/rental agreement, mortgage, deed, tax statement, payroll form, etc.
- Guardianship records* (if needed)
- Court documentation, divorce decree, shared parenting plan, caretaker authorization
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- MARCH-MAY -- Register for kindergarten or a new school
- JUNE-JULY -- Visit school/Attend open house (If offered). Check school for supply needs.
- AUGUST -- Mark 1st day of school on calendar. Verify registration with school. Get school supplies.Talk with your child about school.
- EVERY DAY -- Help your child prepare. Check out these resources
Registration for kindergarten paves the way for a smooth and planful transition for children, parents, preschools and schools. - Rebekah Dorman, Director, Invest in Children
Starting kindergarten is an important developmental milestone with lots of expectations and mixed feelings. We want to support youngsters so they begin school excited to learn. - Billie Osborne Fears, Executive Director, Starting Point
Kindergarten registration provides critical information to teachers in understanding the needs of all their students before school even begins. - Bob Mengerink, Superintendent, Educational Service Center
Kindergarten is the bridge between early childhood education and youth development. Parents, educators, after-school program providers, public systems—we all want to see our children succeeding at every age and stage. - Robin R. Martin, Program Director, Family & Children First Council
Parents and children can be more relaxed when they know what to expect. - Billie Osborne Fears, Executive Director, Starting Point